Thinking of selling? Discover how you can increase your home value and attract buyers in 2022.
Are home improvements necessary before selling your house? They can be if you want to improve the value of your home and attract buyers.
According to a 2019 report by the National Association of REALTORS® Research Group, 20% of respondents said upgrading a kitchen helped close a sale. Kitchen upgrade was also the second most popular project likely to attract buyers and increase a home’s value, second only to a complete kitchen remodel. In comparison, a closet renovation and insulation upgrade were last on the list - revealing that not all improvements are created equal.
Share This Post
Bathroom Improvement Ideas
A modernised bathroom has a significant impact on a property’s sale price. An old-fashioned bathroom can be off-putting, and yet you also don’t need to spend a fortune making drastic changes. Decide what elements need renovating and what you can simply improve.
- Upgrade light fixtures, replace old taps and create a statement wall in contemporary wall tiles. YouTube has resources if you’re ready to DIY. You might also want to replace any cracked, stained tiles (whether around the basin or on the floor).
- Install modern pieces, such as a double sink or floating sink. Not only are these popular 2021 bathroom trends, but a floating sink is helpful if your bathroom is tiny.
A walk-in shower or heated towel racks are also contemporary and luxurious touches - an added attraction for buyers if you have the budget for bigger renovations.
- Don’t underestimate the impact of bathroom decor. A vase of flowers or other indoor plants, shells scattered around the bath, or a diffuser emitting fruity or floral scents are easy improvements you can make to prompt a feeling of serenity in potential buyers.
Kitchen Improvement Ideas
The kitchen is a priority for buyers because everyone uses it. It also brings people together - especially in a time of COVID-19 when people aren’t eating out at restaurants as often as they used to.
Did you know? Sellers who remodel their kitchens generally receive 69% of the remodelling cost back when they sell the house.
Make sure your kitchen is welcoming, modern, and highly functional to increase your home’s value.
- Always do your research on kitchen layouts before making changes. You need to cater for your kitchen’s specialities. Otherwise, you could make misguided and costly decisions.
- While a kitchen island might seem like a great idea, does the size of your kitchen allow for it?
- Is your kitchen small? Then maybe an L-shaped galley layout is the best renovation to make.
- A U-shaped design is a practical option if you have a large kitchen and need sufficient workspace.
- Update your kitchen cabinets. Give them a fresh coat of paint if you’re on a tight budget, or replace cabinet doors that are scuffed, outdated, or hanging off their hinges to ensure they give a great first impression when prospective buyers enter the room.
- Replace your countertops. Quartz has emerged as a durable and popular kitchen trend, so why not renovate your stained, scuffed countertops (especially if they're wooden) and replace them with quartz. Marble is another kitchen trend set to be huge in 2022.
- If your budget is tight, upgrade your kitchen lighting. From recessed lighting to pendant lighting to backlights and accent lighting that highlight the details of your kitchen, there are many ways to add ambience and showcase this space.
You want to evoke a positive emotional reaction from buyers. Ambient lighting can achieve this.
Exterior Home Improvement Ideas
Summer’s here, and it’s time to pay attention to the outside of your home. This is because the exterior of your home is the first thing potential buyers will notice. A 2019 study in the United States revealed that 94% of realtors believe that curb appeal will increase your home’s value.
- Spruce up your patio with stunning furniture. A patio connects the interior and exterior of your home, and as summer arrives and the festive season prompts extra leisure time with family and friends, it’s the perfect time to revitalise this space.
A stunning patio is a bonus feature for any buyer. Explore Seeff’s patio furniture ideas for inspiration.
- Paint. First impressions count, and peeling paint in peachy pink, brown, or bright yellow ( to name a few of the worst colours to paint the outside of your home), is unlikely to make buyers want to enter your home. You can solve this problem with a fresh coat of paint. Try to stick to neutral colours that will appeal to the majority of buyers.
- New roofing. According to the 2019 report by the National Association of REALTORS® Research Group, new roofing was top of the list of exterior projects most likely to appeal to buyers and increase the property’s value.
Consult With An Experienced Real Estate Agent
There are many factors that influence property value, and it’s essential to consult with an experienced real estate agent who can offer advice on which aspects will do the most for your property’s value in your specific area. This will help you avoid spending unnecessarily.
"Please note: All building conversions and renovations must always be subject to local bylaws and building regulations."