Building Plans and Compliances: How to Get Your House in Order Before Selling

    There are many boxes to tick before putting your property on the market; let us help you prepare your home for a successful sale.

    Before you put your house out on the market, you must get a few necessary things relating to building plans and compliances; from water installations and electrical maintenance, let us guide you towards proper preparation for the successful sale of your home.

    As a homeowner and prospective seller, any shortfalls or acts of non-compliance with the necessary building plans and compliances will cause you unnecessary (and often expensive) delays. We recommend that you make any essential repairs ahead of time to verify them with your local council and ensure all filed building plans are correct and meet the required regulations.

    SPLUMA Act reinforces the need for Building Plans and Compliance

    The Spatial Planning and Land Use Management Act, 2013 (SPLUMA Act) dictates that property transfers in certain areas may require a verified SPLUMA Certificate. This legal document certifies that your property complies with all local rules and regulations surrounding building plans. The local council must approve all building plans for your property, and the project in question must adhere to any zoning and use restrictions. 

    If you want to transfer ownership of your property, you must acquire a specific certificate; you can obtain this certificate from the appropriate Conveyancing Attorneys and submit the remaining lodging documents at the Deeds Office.

    Which Documents Must I Get in Order? 

    Among the documents you need to acquire for your property to remain compliant, you might need to obtain a few Certificates of Compliance, including water, gas or electrical installations and a Beetle Certificate. Electric fencing, water, and beetle certificates are only valid for six months, while an electrical certificate holds validity for two years; Each transfer of ownership requires a gas certificate.

    You, as the seller, must cover these costs unless specified otherwise in the selling agreement. If there is any event of a mortgage loan, then the bank also requires these certificates.

    We recommend that you ensure to carry out any repairs or inspections sooner than later to avoid adding to any potential delays when transferring ownership of your property. It would be best to do this as soon as your property receives its official listing status. 

    Suppose your building plans do not comply with SPLUMA rules and regulations. In that case, we recommend you take immediate and timeous action to contact a qualified drafter or architect who can draw up your building plans before you submit them to the local council. You should also ensure that you pay any outstanding taxes, including property taxes and municipal utilities, to avoid any other unnecessary delays in the process.

    Once you have acquired the necessary building plans and comply with all the required legislation, you can put your property out on the market. Many prospective buyers look online to find properties. If you want to sell quickly, you might consider reading our article on virtual staging to learn how you can use modern technology to engage with and attract interested buyers.

    For more information, locate and contact your nearest Seeff branch today.

    Author: Seeff Head Office
    Related Articles
    Home is our story logo